Sunday, January 18, 2009

sacred steps on the camino de santiago

Over the past few months this blog has featured three exceptional visual artists of the Camino. Well, here come some more. The Sacred Steps exhibition, which has already visited several university galleries around the United States as well as the Spanish Consulate in Montreal, is on its way to London, Ontario and Toronto. Sacred Steps brings together the artwork of eight American and Canadian Camino photographers and painters.

I'm a fan of the saturated colours and understated symbolism of my friend Wanda Sawicki's work, which was a highlight of the 2005 joint gathering of American and Canadian pilgrims in Toronto, but I'm also looking forward to seeing up-close the topsy-turvy townscapes and steeples of Father Jerome Tupa, the scenic watercolours of Katie Lopez, and - well - anything that evokes the Camino. (Click to see Wanda interviewed by London Free Press, January 18th.)

The exhibition appears at London's King's College, January 23rd to February 15th, with an opening address by Arthur Paul Boers, author of The Way is Made by Walking, then peregrinates off to Toronto's Saint James Cathedral for a February 19th to March 8th run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I met Wanda Sawicki several years ago .I am pleased to see that she is still involved with the Camino de Santiago.
I am only sorry that only this morning a friend of mine showed me the Paper London Free Press clipping about Wanda's show. It was Wanda who helped me a lot with my first Camino adventure in 2002.I truly wish to make contact and thank her.
Josephine
510-383-0457